Sunday, January 10, 2010

Family

So I was watching Ugly Betty today. I like it more than its Indian cousin which later transformed to a tortuous tear inciting imitation of an Ekta Kapoor serial. Today's episode conveyed something different. It was about the importance of family. Daniel's family. Betty's family. We never stop underestimating the power of our family, do we? But today's episode showed how important the power of a strong family is...

Daniel loses the son of Alexis, his brother to his grandparents who come all the way from France to take his custody. Alexis leaves the country when she gets relief from a case brought up by Wilhelmina. Daniel undergoes a heartbreak when DJ, his brother's son leaves him. On the other hand Gio is tremendously angry with Betty for breaking his heart. Betty's sister Hilda undergoes another heartbreak when her boyfriend, Tony's wife asks for another chance with her husband. She lets him go.

As one of my friends put it, it is the season of heartbreaks. Reel life is not much different. But amidst all these heartbreaks, the one thing that stayed strong were Daniel and Betty's families.

Daniel has never been much of a displayer of emotions but he cannot help but hug his brother when she (coz he has changed his sex) leaves the country. Past woes are forgiven and forgoten. The three of them- mother, brother and Daniel unite. Betty, her father and Hilda's son is there again to console Hilda with her heartbreak.

I loved this episode. In this modern age, we tend to materialize everything. We love to live with ourselves. But nothing like having a warm family in the midst of the cold Jan weather. Like for instance, I had a great day shopping with sister yesterday. Though I was dead tired, I loved the gifts I got as advance presents for my birthday. Today I spent a lot of time listening to my mother's adventures as a kid which she tells and retells. And they never cease to lose their charm for me. The village where she grew up, the meadows, the fresh air, her winning several titles in sports, the fun she had with her siblings, all the mischief she did, the numerous times when she got into a fight and quite naturally won such that both the young and the old were afraid of her made me exclaim that I would have given up had she been my daughter!

I guess what I mean to say is that I had lost touch with them for quite some time. But one day or even some hours with them is enough to rekindle the fire. At the end of the day, they are still there with you when you are hurt the most. They are there to celebrate your success- in fact, it would not be wrong to say that they are one of my biggest inspirations behind success. In all my blog posts, I don't remember a single post which I had contributed about them. I will never be able to thank them enough for what they have done for me. We do have our own differences but sometimes those come in between the many positives that we share.

This post is my minor attempt to thank them for everything they have done for me, the love they have showered upon me which I really don't feel I am worth of. I know I hurt them at times but I love them a lot. And I don't know what I would do without them...


No comments: